Happy New Year, everyone. About a year ago, I made a post about how 2020 was a hellish year, and I was looking forward to a hopefully better 2021.
Well, since I’m sitting at my day-job wearing a double-mask as I type this after they closed the place a few weeks ago because of an omicron variant exposure, my optimism was obviously misplaced. Nonetheless, I think I’m going to proceed in the same foolish spirit that I did last year, with some hopeful goal-setting while I evaluate how well I did in 2021.
Recap and Post-Mortem
Last year, I hoped to do the following:
- Update every week on Tuesday for the entirety of 2021. Corgi Boss will, in a few weeks, be at the half-way point I’ve envisioned for it (150 strips is half of the 300 I plan to do). I want to keep up that momentum!
- Do more blog posts with those updates. Hey! Look! I just did one. *Pats self on back*
- Get that Corgi Boss Instagram account going. It’s here! Tell your friends and have them log on and follow on their Smartish Devices. I’ll post some in-progress work like I do on Twitter, but it’ll look more beautiful because it’s Instagram. #Influencer
- Tchotchkes! This isn’t the start of Corgi Boss LLC, but I’d like to learn how to do some enamel pins, etc.
- Ko-fi. Link my Ko-fi on things so people can support the comic if they like it. Here’s a first go of that.
How did we do?
- Well, I did 41 updates this past year, so it was significantly short of the 52 that I hoped for. Additionally, it was two fewer than the 43 of the previous year. However, I will give myself some head-pats because 2021 was not an easy year. This year, I think I’ll just set the more modest goal of doing any amount more than 41 updates.
- Blog posts? Well, I did some. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Insta? Alright, this one is just bad. I’m going to get on it.
- I didn’t think this one was likely going to happen for real, and I was right.
- I did that! I have a Ko-fi, and it’s even linked on this page. If you’re enjoying this comic and would like to show your appreciation monetarily, please do. If not, that’s cool as well. Corgi Boss is free to read, and thanks for just showing up!
I also did accomplish some significant things that were not on the list this year.
- I successfully migrated the website onto a different content management system, moving away from Wordpress to use Comic Control. I wanted something simpler that didn’t require so many plugins. I like it, it’s easy, and everything is good so far.
- I switched from traditional media to digital for Corgi Boss. Does this make me a digital native? No, a naturalized digital? Who knows? Maybe I’m crazy, but I started noticing that the quality of everything seemed to decline during the pandemic. It’s understandable because we’re all barely holding on. However, affected by that was the quality of the sable inking brushes I used to ink the comic. Eventually, I couldn’t take another new brush split ends, so I made the switch. It was a bit of a challenge, but now I’m comfortable.
To recap, Happy New Year, everything sucks, and I have new goals. Here they are once again:
- Update Corgi Boss with at least 42 strips.
- Write. More. Blogs.
- Join the beautiful people on Instagram.
- Survive until the pandemic ends in 2034 (that was a joke, I think)